Robert Trent has performed on the continents of North and South America and in Europe on modern guitar, Renaissance lute, and historic instruments of the nineteenth-century in particular the 10-string Scherzer and authentic 19thc.guitars.
A first prize winner in numerous National and International competitions including; the Webb National Guitar Competition, the Masterworks Young Artist Competition (for all instruments) and the chamber music prize at the International Competition “Arturo Toscanini” in Italy in Period Instrumental performance.
A recording artist for Dorian Records© (with Duo Firenze) in “Italian Nocturnes: Music for Fortepiano and Early 19thc. Guitar” http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1485513 he is also featured on the new CD “Traveler’s Tales” http://www.capstonerecords.org/CPS-8776.html, in works by American Composer Byron Petty and on third CD with flutist Leslie Marrs on the Oasis label, entitled, “Robert Fruehwald: Flute and Guitar Music” http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marrstrent.
International performances have included appearances at:
- Festival Internacional de Guitar Angostura (VENEZUELA)
- 3rd Annual Classical Guitar festival & Competition (Salisbury University, USA)
- IV Festival de Guitarra Clasica de Los Cabos (MEXICO)
- Primavera de la Guitarra (PARAGUAY)
- St. Joseph International Guitar Festival (USA)
- Festival Condrogianos – Sardinia (ITALY)
- Chartres International Festival of Music – Six Strings and the Spirit (FRANCE)
- Concours International de Guitare, Maurice Ohana (FRANCE)
- Accademia "l'Ottocento (ITALY)
- Zevener Gitarrenwoch (GERMANY)
- Arte SESC – (BRAZIL) / Universidad Porto Alegre (BRAZIL)
- Bethlehem Guitar Festival – Moravian College (USA)
- Festival Internazionale del Coros (SARDINIA, ITALY)
- Rantucci International Guitar Festival (USA)
|Holding the degree of Doctor of Musical Arts in guitar performance from the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University (’95), where he studied with Julian Gray, Manuel Barrueco and lutenist Ronn McFarlane; a Master of Arts of degree from Trenton State College (‘79) where he became Artist Faculty in the Department of Music; and a Bachelor of Music degree from the Philadelphia College of Performing Arts, Dr. Trent begins his eighteenth year as Director of Guitar and Renaissance Lute studies at Radford University where he is in his 11th year as director of Radford University’s Annual International Guitar Festival.|